Bangiya Granthagar Parishad Bangiya Granthagar Parishad
 
Our History
About BLA
Objective
Membership
Granthagar
Training
Publication
Seminar / conference
News
Contact
Home

With the spread of Western education, Libraries started growing in different parts of undivided India. In the 19th century, various types of libraries emerged in different parts of undivided Bengal. The Calcutta Public Library was established in 1836, followed by establishment of the one hundred more public libraries in different districts of undivided Bengal by the end of the 19th century. At the beginning of the 20th century necessity was felt to co-ordinate the activities of those libraries and to organize the library movements in the province. It is in this context, the All India Public Library Conference, held at Belgaon in the year 1924 under the president ship of Deshbandhu Chittaranjan Das, adopted a resolution urging the formation of library associations in each province of India. The resolution was moved by Sushil kumar Ghosh, a delegate from Bengal. A meeting was held in Calcutta, in Albert Hall on the 20th December, 1925. The meeting was presided over by J. A. Chapman, Librarian, Imperial Library. In this meeting All Bengal Library Association was formed with Poet Rabindranath Tagore as President. Sushil Kumar Ghosh became its first secretary.

With the establishment of All Bengal Library Association, a province-wise library movement started gaining grounds.

In 1933 the All Bengal Library Association was renamed as Bangiya Granthagar Parishad in Bengali and Bengal Library Association in English and the All Bengal Library Conference was renamed as Bengal Library Conference.

Deshbandhu Chittaranjan
Rabindranath Tagore
 
Association Building
Initially the Association had no premises for its office and for sometime it functioned from Bansberia (Hooghly District) and later got its registered office at the    Calcutta University Central Library. After some years, the Association moved its office to a rented room at 29 Huzurimull Lane later in 33 Huzurimall Lane near Sealdah Railway Station. After few years the Association constructed its own building with the financial assistance from the State Government and donation received from members and well-wishers. The foundation stone of the Association building was laid by Dr. S. R. Ranganathan in 1967. Presently, the Association is housed in its four-storied building accommodating its office, library, class rooms and computer room at P64, CIT Scheme 52, Kolkata - 700 014.
Our building
 
   
 
Copyrightę 2005 Bengal Library Association All Rights Reserved World wide

 Developed & Designed by    :   Prayas Infotech